Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Fire Safety Week

Fire Safety Week is probably a great week at most people's house. I'm pretty sure it was barely even mentioned before this year at our house. I'm thinking that it was mentioned some...M, H and A would tell us of seeing the firemen and we would go over our safety plan. Now, remember, I am the safety plan queen. Well, I was until S came along! I am a teeny bit of a dramatic person and I am not always the quickest thinker, so I am constantly thinking of a safety plan just in case something goes wrong. When we go anywhere, I am constantly looking for my exits and think through exactly how I would exit if something happened. You would be shocked to know how many scenarios go through my mind that I think through how I will handle them. When I can't get a hold of people on the phone, I automatically think carbon monoxide. Really, I should probably stop now before I freak too many people out!

So the basic story is: I like to have a safety plan. Needless to say, before fire safety week even starts, we go through our fire plan. We go through our fire plan pretty consistently. We have a place to meet in case of a fire, we talk through how to exit the house, we talk about not hiding under the bed, and we even have practice drills. One night, Autumn and I waited until they were asleep, then set off the alarm...just so they knew how to wake up from a sleep and know what to do. Well, last year when S was in pre-k, they did a week about fire safety. Well, S was TOTALLY freaked out. She was constantly upset and afraid our house was going to burn. We would be out and about, doing something fun, and S would start worrying that our house was burning down. While I told her that I was just sure everything was fine, I was freaking out inside because kids will have that sixth sense sometimes....luckily this wasn't a sixth sense, just worrying. Our house didn't burn. I don't know how many nights she can't fall asleep because she is afraid she will have dreams about fire. Well, the past few months she has been doing really really good with the fire thing. And then what do we find out this week is???? Yep....you guessed it...fire safety week! I'm not sure if they actually call it fire safety week, but they have the fireman come and talk to the kids and everything.
So, this year as a big girl in kindergarten, S is facing fire safety week with great courage! She is not having bad dreams about fire and she isn't freaking out about it all the time. Nope. This year, instead of making her afraid, fire safety week has empowered S to become miss fire safety patrol police! She came home from school, yanked the dishtowels away from the oven handle, and yells when the hair dryer comes close to the sink! So, I will take this moment to thank the Lord for our little safety monitor! LOVE HER!!!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Yeah I wish you would have warned us about her phobia before she spent the night at our house and asked about the fire alarm in her room! I didn't know I was supposed to say smoke alarm, not fire alarm!!! Thought I had calmed her down til I awoke to her in our room at 3am asking Jarrod about that silly thing!!!!

    Beth

    ReplyDelete