When I was little, our family liked to play board games together. I loved the game of clue and I always wanted to play it, until we actually started playing. You see, my dad and my sister Autumn are very logical and strategic people. I am not. I would much rather play the game of clue a different way...where you guess which room, who did it, and what murder weapon they used....AND you guessed why they might have done it, and what happened leading up to the murder. Ok, so it wouldn't really be a game to win...but it would be hours of fun! Needless to say, I NEVER won. Never ever ever. I still have not won a game of clue to this day and I am 31 years old! Ugh! Why? Because I play with Autumn...the super smart strategic logical smart sister! I am not kidding...Autumn makes all of these little marks on her paper ALL through the game. She doesn't just make an X when she sees a card...she is constantly over there making marks. So what do I do? I make marks on my paper too...I try and guess why Autumn is making marks on her paper and every time she makes marks...I do too...only I'm not sure what my marks are for, and I get confused, and I end up with a whole bunch of marks on my paper that I have no idea what to do with! By the end of the game, the super-sleuth knows every card that every person has....it kind of makes me mad because I can't figure out how she does it! And she tells me every time now what marks she makes...only I forget by the time we pull out the game again, and I am back to square one. So, I have accepted the fact that I will never win clue when I play with Autumn, and I have become content in being Colonel Mustard every time and just imagining what led up to these murders.
Well, as much as you might wish the story ends there, it doesn't. Yes, I can make even a story about the game of clue last forever! It is funny to me how, even though the girls are adopted and do not share our genes, they are so "us" when we were little! Let me give you a little glimpse into our game of clue the other day.
We sat down to play and we each picked our person. Autumn is always Mrs. White...I used to always be Miss Scarlet, but now H and M get her...depends on the day...so I am Colonel Mustard and M was Mrs. Peacock. With everything set, we could begin marking our papers and put a check by all of the cards we have.
H: So what do we do?
Me: Put an X on your paper next to the items that you see their cards ok? You are trying to figure out what three cards are in that sleeve, so if you see the card, then you know it isn't in there...got it?
H: Ummm.....well.....ok
Ok. And the game began. M, Autumn and I start playing our game...we move to the rooms, guess our guesses, mark our papers (I still watch Autumn and mark what I think she is marking). H moves from room to room...asking about each room as she does. As she or anyone else picks a weapon, the question is quickly asked, "How do you use that?" We explain how you would used the particular weapon to kill someone, to which she responded, "Ouch...ooo...that hurts". It really takes away from the strategy in your game when the girl next to you is constantly "feeling" the murder happen...the fun game of clue kind of became gruesome and yucky! It was so funny...and what was even funnier...I totally related to her...we really are alot alike! H would just sit beside me and squirm and kind of giggle every time someone would guess who, where and what...I knew exactly what was going through her mind....she was picturing every "murder" happen. Poor girl...she must think this is an awful game! At one point, she said, "This game just makes me feel all bloody!"
Oh dear...what moms we are...we make our kids play games that make them feel bloody!
AND, she had NO idea how the strategy part of the game worked....AT ALL, which made us laugh hysterically every time it was her turn! She would get in a room, choose a weapon, and EVERY SINGLE time, she chose Mrs. White as the murderer. Every time. What is so funny about that? In the game of clue, you choose a person, place and weapon, and then ask the person on your left if they have any of those...if they do, they show you one. H asked Autum every time, and EVERY time, she used Mrs. White, and EVERY time, Autumn showed her Mrs. White....and each time Autumn showed her Mrs. White...she would laugh and totally not understand why Autumn kept showing the same card........I don't know if I am explaining this in a way that totally shows how funny this game was...I don't know if you can picture it, but it was SO funny! So...lesson learned...H and I will stick to a more creative game, a not so logical game!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment