Thursday, May 19, 2011

the Guard

Most of my stories on this blog are either funny and sweet things that the girls have said and done, with a little bit of just random thoughts I might be having. Today, I am changing it up. Yes...change...I know, big deal for me. Today, my story will not be about my girls, but instead it will be about another girl that I could not imagine my life without....my eldest sister Bethany. I did not ask for permission to share this story on the blog, because I knew she would never agree to it...BUT I did TELL her I was going to put it on here...no giving in....here it is. Hey, she was the bossy one growing up, so now it is my turn (and apparently I am good at it because my friends have been telling me lately how bossy I am...hmmm...). Anyway, back to the story. I could have a ton of stories to tell on Bethany, but I don't remember all of them exactly and I don't want her to start a blog and tell all of my stories on me (although I kind of do that to myself), so I will stick to this one, but it is a good one, don't worry. I laugh extra hard at this one every time I tell it. Some stories...the more you tell it, the more the "funniness" wears off, but not this one...not for me anyway. I hope it is funny to you too!
Several years ago (at least 6 or 7) Autumn, Bethany and I were sitting in our little house watching the news. Just sitting and talking and watching the news. Bethany's gasp stopped the conversation and we all listened intently to what the news man was telling us. It was something like this:
"The (I forget what team) NBA Team has cancelled tomorrow nights game due to the tragic and unexpected death of the guard _______________ (I don't remember his name)"

Bethany: gasp Oh my goodness. I just can't believe it!!!

Me: I know...how did they say he died? What happened?

Bethany: I'm not sure, but he must have been such a great man. I mean, what a great story for your life. He must have really had an impact on a lot of people's life for them to cancel an entire game for him!

Me: Yeah...I guess so.

Bethany: I mean think about it....for them to cancel a game because the security guard died...wow....that sweet security guard must really have been special!

Me: (after maybe 10 straight minutes of laughter) Not the SECURITY guard!!!! He was a player and played the POSITION of guard!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!

Bethany: Oh, yeah...that makes a LOT more sense.

I love you very much Bethany and I am SO glad that I have this memory that can make me laugh just anytime I want to!!!

1 comment: