This has been both a fun and sad week. Well, and crazy, but that is really a given! So...we went on our 5 hour trip, as I posted before, and I still intend to get photos up from that trip. On our way back, we picked up baby H, a friend's little girl, and we watched her until Thurs. We got home on Sat., and our dog Maggie was in the front yard. The dogs (Coby and Maggie) are always in the back yard and we don't let them out on purpose. We hollered for Coby, but he never came. On Sunday Autumn went to pick up little cousin B to keep him for a week (yep, that's 2 extra little ones) and I took some of the girls to church. Me and my crew drove around looking for Coby near us, but didn't find him. So I called Autumn to tell her of our failed search, and she told me the news.......He was on the side of the highway just 1/2 mile from our home. DEVASTATED!!!!!!!! I yelled......not the right reaction, but I yelled......then I apologized to the girls later. Coby was my dog. I didn't even want ONE dog when we got Maggie. But Maggie is such a great dog, and something in me just wanted one for myself. So we went to the shelter and picked out Coby. We all loved this dog. Sister 3, A, especially loved him. Of course she loves all creatures, but her and Coby just seemed to bond really well: they both push REALLY hard on you when lovin on you, they both can STINK up a room, they are both stubborn, and they are both really loving and sweet. So when we told the girls........of course we were all just heart-broken. So how did they get out of the yard? Well, we have this neighbor who has a son who is mentally challenged, and we have had lots of situations where we had to call the sheriff on him. He had let our dog out before, so there were locks on the gate, but he loosened the fence at the corner and let them out. So, I realize this is "just a dog" to most people, but this was part of our family and we have to figure out how to help ourselves and our kids grieve.
It has just been so sad. So we decided we all needed closure, and today we had a "service" for Coby. We let the girls pick out their clothes and how to do their hair, and we picked a tree to be "Coby's tree". We gathered some "flowers" from the field and all said a few words about him. S had been praying for God to help Coby, and A informed her that we can't pray for dead people. A: When people die, they already made their decision and they are either with God or the devil. Like Elvis. He did bad drugs and now he's with the devils but maybe he's with God but it won't help if we pray for Elvis, so we can't pray for Coby either.
Did you follow that? Well, welcome to our world of following random thoughts! So we made it clear that in our service, we would just say words ABOUT Coby not TO Coby, cause we can't talk to dead people or animals!
So, why was our week fun? Well we had those two precious babies visiting, and we had TONS of fun! Really, I think that was the Lord's timing that the two babies were with us. They helped to keep our minds off of Coby. Also, I was working a day camp this week and M and H attended this camp. We had SO much fun! Our town puts the camp on and we focus on healthy eating and anti-bullying. We also have a lot of fun activities.....soccer, archery, tennis, golf, art......it is TONS of fun! So it has been a good week, even in the midst of heart ache. Good thing our joy comes from the Lord and doesn't depend on our circumstances!

Oh Trin, this is just so sad. I'm so sorry that your sweet Coby is gone. I'm so glad that you had the sweet babies there to take your minds off of things- the Lord's timing really is just perfect!
ReplyDeletehad to put the Elvis comment as my first favorite quote on Facebook! - love it!! - Sarah
ReplyDelete