Saturday, June 26, 2010

Thanksgiving


I know....it's not Thanksgiving. And this isn't a sweet post about giving thanks every day of the year, although that would be nice.....yeah, I should probably do that. Anyway, that is a different post...this is a Thanksgiving story from a few years ago. Why did I choose today to tell this story? I thought of it today. I haven't thought about this story in a while and I thought of it today and I figured I don't know when I will think of it again, so I better write it down while I am thinking of it. So............come back in time with me a few years.


We had M and H in our home as well as big H (a girl who lived with us for almost a year. She was tween age, fair skinned, blue eyes, blond hair and very pretty). M was 6 and H was 4 or 5. (At some point I will take you through the journey of us starting foster care, getting each girl and adoption). So I was driving the car.....had the 3 girls in the back. I heard muted arguing. I say muted because I was totally zoned out. I was either singing to the radio, or so deep in thought. The arguing grew louder and a little more intense....not hitting each other intense, but it just wasn't going to stop. So I start listening. I know, I should be more in tune to what is going on in the car while driving, but I'm not. That is when I find myself answering uh-huh or oh, yeah to a lot of things without really listening. I need to get better at that. I have gotten a little better, but there is always room for improvement! Anyway.......I was driving.......there was arguing.......I started to listen. I hear the following conversation:

Big H: You are not M!

M: Yes I am too!

Big H: No you aren't M.

M: I am too

Big H: No you aren't. Trinity, Tell M that she is NOT an Indian.


That cracked me up right there. I don't know why, but it was just funny. M was EXTREMELY feisty when we first got her....now she is more of a controlled feisty, but it was more untamed then. I could just imagine her at school for her Thanksgiving play fighting with everyone telling them that she IS an Indian! Oh yeah.......clue in Trinity......you are the referee right now....you have a fight to resolve.


Me: No M, you aren't an Indian you are Mexican. Your dad is from Mexico so that makes you Mexican.

I love it that the girls are Mexican. I think it is fun. I think it is a fun culture and we try to embrace that culture when we can. We have made the tradition of making tamales at Christmas to include their Mexican heritage. I love traditions and culture and heritage! I know......back to the story.....what is with me tonight chasing all of these rabbits?

M: Oh, I thought I was an Indian.

I can see the proud eyes of Big H in the back...proud that she was right. I think those eyes also said, I told you so!

Me: No, you are Mexican. I like it that you are Mexican.

M: Aww man, I thought I was an Indian. Oh well, that's ok H (big H that is). You are still a pilgrim!

2 comments:

  1. I crack up about this story every time I hear the word pilgrim (which means I'm laughing a lot during Thanksgiving time)

    Autumn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this story!!! I laughed this time like the first time I heard it! I also love your rabbit chasing...very entertaining!


    Bethany

    ReplyDelete