
Unless I think of another story to put on here, this is your last one dad. I'm so glad you enjoyed reading these (he told me he did!). I'm glad I wrote some of these stories down...I just feel so much better with my favorite stories written down. It makes me feel like I (well and my stories and experiences) won't be forgotten as easily.
We are going back in time 19 years. While some of you might think that would put me as an infant (hahahaha), I was 12 years old, almost the big 13! We had spent some time visiting family in Oklahoma, and since my aunt and uncle (mom's sister) was moving, mom and Bethany got to stay and help move while Autumn, dad and Snuggles LeeAnn our dog and I came home. We travelled on July 4th and spent the night in a hotel and watched fireworks from the hotel parking lot. It was a great time even though the whole family wasn't together.
Dad's birthday is July 11, and Bethany and mom were still in Oklahoma, so Autumn and I decided to try and make this day memorable for dad. Of course dad wouldn't say anything about it being his birthday and he wouldn't make any big deal of it, but Autumn and I came up with a plan. Dad had something to do the day of his birthday, so we went and stayed with a friend, Miss Leona. When we asked Miss Leona if she would help us make a cake, we had no idea that she was a "real" cake decorator. I mean, to me, she might as well have been the cake boss, even though that show did not exist back then. I was SOOOOOOO excited that I could hardly stand it. And I just could not believe that Miss Leona went to our church and we didn't even know that she could make roses out of icing! I also could NOT believe that she would take us to the store and actually buy the ingredients for the cake, AND a card! Autumn and I gathered our money up and put $12 in the card. I wonder why I can't remember whole events in my life yet I remember we put $12 in the card.
I can't remember if we gave him the cake when he picked us up from Miss Leona's house or if we somehow snuck it home and gave it to him, but I do remember he had a good reaction when we gave him the cake, but an even better reaction when we gave him the card with the $12. I was so excited that I could tell he was excited. Remember I told you that he doesn't ever have a big reaction when you give him a gift, so the fact that I could tell he was excited was a very big deal to me. However, here is what was an even bigger deal to me. This is what stood out so much and I doubt dad even remembers this next part. What made me speechless (I know that is hard to do) is that he took that $12 and went to the store and bought US cherries!!! We love fresh cherries in the summer, and I just could not believe that he would take his birthday money and buy us cherries! That meant the world to me. It is so funny because of all of the things my dad has bought me through the years, one of the gifts that stands out the most is Bing cherries bought with his birthday money on his birthday! That's a birthday that I will never forget!

No comments:
Post a Comment